33 Likes
70.1 K Views
mrcranky
(@mrcranky)

Posted by: @crackedconsole
Posted by: @mrcranky
Posted by: @crackedconsole

Welcome and glad to have you!

After long internal debate, I did decide to provide the files for free on Thingiverse once they are complete (hopefully this weekend!)
Donations are always welcome but not expected.

I do plan on offering pre-printed cases as well as full units for sale as well, but I am more than happy to share my work with the community once it's all complete!

Again welcome, and please feel free to chime in with questions or design suggestions at anytime, also be sure to grab the pre-compiled RetroPie 4.5.1 image in our downloads if you wish.

That's a hard choice to make, and if you change your mind, it makes sense to me.

I just downloaded the image and it works great. Unlike the waveshare image, I can actually read the game names!!! Only one question... in MAME, how do I add a coin?  I tried many different combinations of buttons and had no luck.

Thanks again! I'm really glad that I found this site.

To be honest, I haven't touched the MAME portion yet, I'll look at it tonight.
What MAME folder did you drop your ROMs in, I want to make sure I'm following your same steps to make sure I get the same results.

I can toy with it tonight and update the ROM as well

I had my roms in mame4all. Just tried Libretro and no luck either.

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jbach50

@crackedconsole

needed to edit the wpa-Supplicant.conf (tell it what country and my network info, had to do that with the other pinky pi image)

Yeah the wpa_supplicant.conf is a raspberry pi thing, and does require the correct country and WiFi info to work, glad you got it fixed!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@mrcranky

Sounds good, I'll toy with it over the weekend and get it setup, thank you for the feedback!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@mrcranky

Just starting tinkering this morning, I'm using lr-mame2003 and so far controls seem to work out of the box. I gotta find a decent game to test everything out.

Insert coin is Select, start of course is just start. I haven't made any config changes or updates as of yet, but will more than likely upload a new version of the image tonight or tomorrow once I test it all.

I haven't messed with MAME on the Pi Zero yet, is there a particular emulator that runs best or you prefer?

Lastly, rather than placing my MAME roms in a specific emulator folder, I dropped them in the "arcade" folder as it looks like most emu's use that as a secondary rom location.

MAME / RetroPie Wiki

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Using WinSCP you can drop the following files in the following folders, these are for mame4all, I will be creating a new image here shortly as well.

/opt/retropie/configs/mame-mame4all

/opt/retropie/configs/mame-mame4all/cfg

Key mapping is as follows (MAME portion)

I am also exporting the image now and will upload it once complete / update the download portion

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

PinkyPi X version 1.1 - mame4all support

I've updated the download section to move to PinkyPi X version 1.1 with the mame4all configuration setup and running. 
Let me know if you have any questions or issues

I also came across this compatibility list, I'm not sure how out of date it is, but good for an idea of what games make work, based of the Pi 1 column.

MAME Game List for Raspberry Pi

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

After all the updates, I have another smoothed out version on the printer now

And let's not forget those that want a D-Pad instead of Arrow Keys, yes it will have the 2 options of a smaller concave D-Pad, or the larger flat D-Pad (I'll print and render better pics later for those)

ReplyQuote
mrcranky
(@mrcranky)

@crackedconsole

About to download it...sadly one of my GamePi15 buttons broke off when it was in my bag yesterday so I'm about to order a new one.

Thanks again for all of your work! 

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mrcranky

@crackedconsole

About to download it...sadly one of my GamePi15 buttons broke off when it was in my bag yesterday so I'm about to order a new one.

Thanks again for all of your work! 

Shoot, sorry to hear =( I'm getting real close to having the case done, I am really wanting to have it uploaded by tomorrow night.

The last thing I'm finishing and testing is the volume control, I have everything lined up, I've just been printing a few test ideas.
I'm currently printing the "final" button pack to test out, and I still need to print a new version of the D-Pad top and test both D-Pad designs.

Start/Select,  ABXY (2 buttons in 2 different styles each), Arrow Keys,  D-Pad and Power Switch

Over-sized D-Pad, both together and in it's 2 sections

All Buttons and options

And lastly, the volume wheel cap and extension, this is still a work in progress and I hope to have a working design finished tonight or tomorrow AM. Sadly it will require a drop of super glue to bound it together as the last step of assembly.

mrcranky reacted
ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

A size reference between all the different PinkyPi pocket devices

mrcranky reacted
ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well the best laid plans of Mice and Men, I haven't had a chance to finish the last steps in the case design (work had an emergency on Labor day that really wrecked my weekend/week).

I'm working on getting it finished and ready for this weekend, just a heads up!

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@crackedconsole

hey things happen, they will be done when they are done :>, been using my gamepi15 plugged into my rpi3a+ (works fine btw, finding a retropie that works with the rpi3a+ is another thing lol, my rpi3b+ images dont work). (got a bonus from work so went on a bit of a shopping spree, the rpi 3A+. an rpi4+, Gameshell, and an atomic PI lol)

also I wondered, when done, what will the color options be for the gamepi15 shells?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@jbach50

Color options will be pretty open, if you had a special request, I could order filament in that color.
I current have;

Red, Black, White, Grey, 2 Shades of purple (from doing the SNES buttons on PinkyPi Pro), Blue

I will more than likely make an SNES Themed one as well, Grey with ABXY in 2 shades of Purple, Start Select and DPad / Arrow Keys in black

While I'm printing and testing the volume today and tomorrow, I've started breaking the files up to make printing easier for those DIY folks.

Standard button pack - ABXY / Start Select / Power Switch

Arrow buttons - Up Down Left Right

D-Pad

D-Pad Large

Volume Controls (still in beta)

Base (additional versions may come later such as HDMI access)

Top - Arrow Keys

Top - D-Pad

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@crackedconsole

well I love dark green myself :> another cool look would be white or black with the colored buttons (red, green, blue, yellow)

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jbach50

@crackedconsole

well I love dark green myself :> another cool look would be white or black with the colored buttons (red, green, blue, yellow)

Ok, ok... Dark Green.. What do you like the best? I need to order some Grey PLA so I'll tag a spool

Green (Pantone 323C)

Green

Pine Green

Camo Green

Olive Green

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 13
Share: