Clear all

Portable Super Nintendo Build

11 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Joshua
(@joshua)
Topic starter  

Using an original SNES Controller, a Raspberry Pi Zero and a Waveshare GamePi15 hat, running Pinky Pi X with the fbcp-ili9341 display driver.

https://imgur.com/gallery/bBkm8Aq

https://youtu.be/toc8xajJsaI

https://youtu.be/I4JuMUpMiAg

CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin

Very cool build!

I love seeing you are using the PinkPi X RetroPie build, that's great!

I actually bought an extra set of generic SNES USB controllers, wanting to do the same thing, this may be the motivation to finally complete the project. Great work!

ReplyQuote
Joshua
(@joshua)
Topic starter  

Hey thanks so much! Would be interested to see your build if you do it ?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin

Posted by: @joshua

Hey thanks so much! Would be interested to see your build if you do it ?

Now that I have finished my CandiStick project and the Christmas light season is over, I think I may start to focus on doing so.
I'd love to design some 3D printed parts to clean up the mounting and internals, maybe once I get things laid out I can send you an extra set of 3D printed internals.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin

Just as a heads up, I've started looking more into this project. I think I'll start off with designing a couple of 3D printed parts to hold items into place, and I may go as far as creating a custom PCB to have manufactured to mount and connect all the electronics.

This is starting to look pretty exciting to tackle!

ReplyQuote
Joshua
(@joshua)
Topic starter  

@crackedconsole

Ooh cool, I'm so curious to see your take on it, with the 3D printed parts.

I'm just starting to look into 3D printing myself. My old housemate left a 3D printer here which I'm going to attempt to use.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin

Here is what I am thinking and starting to work on.

Using those cheap iNNEXT SNES USB controllers as the base.

I took out the PCBand started taking measurements, I'm going to attempt to recreate it in Fritzing (at a high level) or possibly wire up a micro USB connection from the existing USB PCB and route that directly into the Pi Zero.
IF I can get everything to fit with the original PCB, that may be the way to go, but a custom PCB that you can mount the Pi, screen, battery charge and audio into would be nice lol.

I don't think I'm going to repurpose a GamePi 15 for this, instead I picked up a 1.54inch 240x240 screen just like from the GamePi 15 and will 3D Print a housing/bezel for it. I am thinking I will leave start and select where they are (if possible) and just extend the screen abit up the top. This is where the 3D printed housing will come into play as well.

This is where the screen will sit. If I can make it so you just cut out a section from the top half of the controller, then slide in the LCD housing. Allowing users to somewhat cover up and dirty lines or cuts lol.
Following in your foot steps, in the bottom half I'll trim off all supports and bracing so I can fit the Pi Zero, Battery, Charger, Amp and Speaker. And then I can hopefully design a few internal 3D printed parts to hold said items in place and re-add some form of supports for the controller PCB.

It may be slow going but I'll keep you updated.

This post was modified 3 years ago by CrackedConsole

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin

Here is the start of the 3D display mount, of course it will change alot before I can call it done. But this is the general idea.

I have a rough draft, for just test fitting the screen, on the printer now. Once I get that squared away I can run some test prints of the design above to make sure I have all the lines and curves correct for fitment. 
The more I look at it over all, the more I feel like I can fit everything and still use the stock PCB for the USB controller. Making life so much easier, as I can now just replace the existing USB cable with a short USB micro and just plug the existing PCB into the Pi Zero.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin

I am starting to think I don't like the way it's coming out, but I'm going to push forward for now anyway. I have 2 of these controllers, so I can try a different approach if I see fit.

BUT, here is the design thus far, keep in mind it will not stick out as much as shown here. Once the case is cut, the goal is to have it sit as flush as possible to the face.
Although it sticks out abit higher than I want from the top of the controller.

Again, the hope is to make things easily repeatable, using a flat LCD, existing controller PCB and Micro USB cable.

I'll be gutting the insides of the controller this weekend to work on the 3D printed supports and mounts for the Pi, charger, battery and speaker/amp.

I expect this design will change drastically between now and completion lol.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin

I finally took some time to cut apart my donor controller.

I need to adjust the LCD holder abit as well as add a place for the battery charger, amp and power switch.

But progress none-the-less.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin

The LCD mount is almost complete, I've been toying with a few designs. Sadly I'm getting some curling on my 3D printer on some of the edges, so I need to do some tweaking there.
But these will house the LCD, Power Switch, Amp and Battery Charger

It allows for a simple rough cut on the top half of the controller, and then slides into place.
I'm working on the under mounts for the Pi0, speaker and batter. These mounts will more than likely also have bracing for the controllers PCB, as I need to cut most of the supports away to fit the Pi and Battery.
The goal is to have the Pi and Battery and Speaker mount behind the PCB on the top half, leaving the bottom empty so assembly is easier. Rather than having to mount the pi and battery in the bottom half and connect all the wires etc, you mount everything in the top section, then bolt on the back.

I also have to tweak the LCD mount just a hair to get the triggers to fit with out cutting their pivot points (if possible), I'll show more on this later once I work out a few kinks.

ReplyQuote
Share: