17 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
10.4 K Views
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Since I have yet to find a true N64 Mini to complete my collection of systems I had as a child, I decided to make my own. This build is based off a Raspberry Pi and running RetroPi. Keep in mind at the time of doing this project, even with the new Raspberry Pi 4 is on the market N64 games still really don't run well, this is more for novelty than functionality.

I am using this N64 case I found in Thingiverse and have been working on the prep for paint.
I have a spare Pi 3B+ I will be using as this case sadly isn't Pi 4 friendly.

Power Switch used - Uxcell a12013100ux0116
Reset Switch used - HDE PC Case Power Push Button
Fan in use  - Easycargo Raspberry Pi Fan 30x30x7mm
N64 USB controllers - iNNEXT N64 Wired USB PC Game pad
N64 USB controlelrs - Retro-Bit Tribute 64 USB Controller

The initial print didn't look all that bad, though there were a couple of minor issues with some of the finer detail of the print. Sadly it took over an hour to cut away all the support material, and was a complete mess.
I've since started with 180 grit sand paper, to remove the salmon skin left behind from 3D printing.

For the most part, the top half is now ready for some spot filler and sanding with 220/320

Once I touch up a few areas on the top and finish cleaning up / spot filling the bottom, it will be ready for primer.
The primer I picked up is a sandable, filler primer with 600 grit sand paper, and a couple of coats of matte black.

I don't plan on going too extreme, I would like to keep it as authentic looking as possible. 
This one is slow going as balancing work and wrapping up PinkyPi Pro as well as creating the newest PinkyPi project takes up alot of my time as well.

Stay tuned!

CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

First coat of primer is down on the top half, looks like I need to do abit more touching up on the spot filler and sanding. 
Once that is done, I'll knock it all down with some 600 grit paper and get it ready for some matte black paint!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

First 2 coats of primer laid down, I'm going to do some light sanding and apply abit more spot putty in some very small areas to clean it up abit more.
Sadly the Nintendo logo came out fairly poor from the 3D printing process. I'm debating if I can clean it up abit with filler and some prep work

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I've also managed to get the first 2 coats of primer onto the cartridge, controller ports, memory slot cover and power / reset buttons

As you can see, just some minor touch ups still needed, and sanding with some 600 still, but it is getting closer!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Last night I was able to get the first coat of spot putty on the base, as well as touch up the areas on the top and cart I was not happy with.

This morning I started to sand down the glaze and add the first coats of primer to the bottom half, as well as touching up the top sections and cart. Once the primer dries later today, I'll be hitting it with some 600grit wet and then starting with the matte black top coats.

I will most likely do 1 coat, wet sand with 1200, and then possibly 2 more coats and re-sanding, depending on the look / outcome of the first run.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The base didn't come out as well as I had hoped, and I decided to forego putting as much effort into cleaning it up as I did the top.

You can see the vent lines / holes didn't print very well on the bottom, this is due to how I oriented the print on my 3D printer.
None-the-less, it's the bottom so who cares right? 😉

I'm still waiting on the primer to finish drying before I hit the base with the 600grit wet sand phase, and the first light coat of matte black is being laid down on the top half. Though I'm not real happy with how the rattle can is laying out the paint. The grey primer went down well, this other brand isn't fairing to hot with an even coat.. Very splotchy, so we shall see.

On and on a side note, my vinyl label inkjet paper came today!

The first labels are ready!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Not the best pic, the lighting in the basement is fairly poor, and with all the rain we've been getting outdoors is not an option.
Sadly a hair floated into the paint while drying, so that will be fun to clean up.

But outside of that, first coats of black are down on the top, memory slot cover and power/reset buttons.
Later today comes wet sanding, and spraying the base!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I only had 1500 grit sandpaper on hand, its taking abit to get the first coat cleaned up as I would like to see, so off to the hardware store tomorrow to grab some 800 grit range paper before going onto a 1200

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I've attached the labels I modified to fit my needs.

The N64 cart art is a bit stretched to fit the cart itself on the Mini.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The cart is pretty much "done". I'm not sure I'm happy with how light the grey paint looks, but it'll just have to do.

Also, a couple of test fits with the cart in place, the base and top are currently in the basement now, getting a final coat of matte black

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Things are getting REAL close now. I'm debating if I even want to wet sand it as it sits, it looks fairly decent.
Sadly I just got a full pack of sand paper and polishing compound, but I doubt I'll end up using it... I'm fairly happy with the results thus far.

I will say, I wish I would have paid more attention to some of the corners and tight areas, to make sure I got everything smoothed out, but as small as some of them are... whew.

The power button and reset switch just got a fresh hit of paint after taking this pic, and they are drying in the basement.

The controller ports are ready to secure in place, and electronics are ready to setup.

I'll be adding a red power LED, and I'm looking to source the power and reset switch hardware so I can get those mounted.

More to come!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

A final update for the night, and looking at the pics, it makes me wish I would have gone for a charcoal or gunmetal paint rather than a pure black.

Now it may just be time to start adding electronics and tactile buttons. (This will help with the sunk in reset button as well.) And I can then finish up with the controller port pieces.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

A couple more tastey bits of N64 goodness.

I hope to have this device done by the weekend, I am awaiting a few buttons and switches from Amazon, and need to wire up the power LED as well as glue the controller ports into place.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The Pie is in place, this is just a spare 3 I had sitting around, sadly the case wont fit a 4 without a full redesign.

And not to light it up, a 3mm Red LED rated at 2.3-1.8v with a 270ohm resistor inline on v+ to cut the 5v signal coming from the Pi, and drop it down drastically. (I really didn't want anything super bright)

I did scratch the paint a hair, so time for a touch up .

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The fan, power and reset buttons are now in place.
The slider switch for the power button could be redone abit better as I used Hot Glue to hold everything in place and it makes sliding off and on abit sticky.

I also dabbed abit of hot glue around the fan to help secure it in place, even with the screws in it would wobble just a hair.

The fan vents out behind the cart for some decent air flow.

I need to re-cut another label and secure that in place, then glue on the controller ports and bolt it all together!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: