PinkyPi X Build log - Raspberry Pi Zero and GamePi15 hat gaming device

195 Posts
10 Users
33 Likes
71.2 K Views
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

followup, got the new pizero from waveshare this time, so far so good, not getting near as hot when running pinkypi. im still getting a pi 3a+ for fun :> also might get an atomic pi lol

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jbach50

followup, got the new pizero from waveshare this time, so far so good, not getting near as hot when running pinkypi. im still getting a pi 3a+ for fun :> also might get an atomic pi lol

Good news! Sounds like the Zero's you got from the 3rd party vendor may have been the issue =(

On a lighter note, the case is getting very close, I want to make a couple very minor changes to the trigger areas as well as the USB charging port location and the hotkey.
Once those minor updates are done, I can finally tackle the volume control (I've been dreading this part) and also make the power switch part.

I'm taking a quick break from case design tonight, and currently working on a PinkyPi X image based off RetroPie 4.5.1
I plan on doing the same SNES emulator swap to PiSNES that was done with PinkyPi Pro and I hope to get MAME setup as well. Once all is done with this image, I may end up updating PinkyPi and PinkyPi Pro images to RetroPie 4.5.1 as well.

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@crackedconsole

what's the cases are finished and you have the design then you have an idea of what they're going to cost and you're going to offer them in colors curious looks great so far

ReplyQuote
Zauberlolly
(@zauberlolly)

@crackedconsole

I really love your case design. If you finished your design, can you please share it on Thingiverse like you’re other projects? I want to print it on my printer. 

Regards Zauberlolly 

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

another pi zero died

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@crackedconsole

what's the cases are finished and you have the design then you have an idea of what they're going to cost and you're going to offer them in colors curious looks great so far

It will likely be in the range of $10-$15 for a premade 3D printed case and buttons if you buy one from us.

As for sharing the files on Thingieverse, I do plan on uploading them but I may start shilling my paypal and or patreon 😉 lol

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

another pi zero died

It may be worth sending an email to Waveshare support at this point.
It could be a bad battery, or possibly getting shorted out while in use?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Opinions? I guess I will have to see what it looks like once printed.

I still am hoping to upload build 1.0 of the PinkyPi X image for GamePi15 tonight before I head to bed, I'm just trying to wrap up  few loose ends with it.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I'm going to run a test print of the power switch after work tomorrow and see how well it functions.

I did get the basic size of the volume wheel figured out and starting to model it as well (no pics yet). I fear using the slot in the center of the wheel wouldn't end well. It's too narrow to print anything strong enough. I fear it would break if someone was turning it hard, or even gentle use. It's about 0.4 - 0.6mm thick, thats 1 pass of my printer nozzle.

So instead, I'm going to cap the entire wheel and extend off of that, complicates things abit.. But we shall see.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Also, version 1.0 of the PinkyPi X build is up for download (updated 8-31-19 to version 1.1)

Download here

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@crackedconsole

m thinking battery possably, but when I use it with my pi3b, its fine, no issues, I might be frying it touching the rear of the pi (its totally exposed) luckily amazon is replacing it, and im ordering a pi3a to try as well lol, also was thniking battery

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

How long are you using them before they fry, like minutes? or hours?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @donannis

lol, I just removed it and bridged the 2 solder joints.. I used the volume control in Retropie. also, the little speaker is right channel, not even mono sound. which bites for genesis, as you are missing some sounds that would come out of the left speaker.

I'm looking at this and may possibly tackle it once I get further with the case design.

Down Mixing Stereo to Mono Raspberry Pi 
This may be a good solution if I can get it to work.

I also got a working print of a power switch extension and a working cap for the volume wheel.
Now its just a matter of finalizing the power switch design (not much to do in this aspect) and settling on a volume control option, while still making it 3D printer friendly.

Lastly would be the HDMI and USB port on the Pi itself, I've been sadly putting that off till the end, I wanted to figure out the volume setup first.

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@donannis

off and on , days, almost 2 weeks this time, I am thinking this one fried because I am touching the back of the pizero, might have been moisture on my fingers... that or battery, even though that battery will power the gamepi15 and a pi3b, no problems

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@donannis

off and on , days, almost 2 weeks this time, I am thinking this one fried because I am touching the back of the pizero, might have been moisture on my fingers... that or battery, even though that battery will power the gamepi15 and a pi3b, no problems

How long do you run it in 1 sitting? 30minutes? An hour, or more/less.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 13
Share: