195 Posts
10 Users
33 Likes
70.6 K Views
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@crackedconsole

on the 3 pi zeros I have used with the gamepi15, 2 died, one gets too hot to touch as soon as you power it on (the green lights on both my dead pi zeros dont come on) the 2nd dead one doesnt get warm at all, the 3rd one that actually works gets hot, but is holdable, but shuts down after a bit (the first 2, before they died, didnt get too warm).

any kind of heat sink that will work with the gamepi15 considering the battery is there

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

I'm super impressed, that came out really nicely. I'll print up the top half when you release 😉  Also, I have them super close together without any heating issues, is your image overclocked?

This post was modified 5 years ago by donannis

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I finally added the start/select buttons while on Lunch today, last item is the HotKey button "flap". But again, the flap itself will be integrated into the lower half, same as the trigger/shoulder buttons.
HotKey and Directional buttons are on the plate for tonight. Nothing major outside of that, if time permits I'm going to work more on the bottom half as well. BUT the end goal is to have the top half completed tonight!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I may end up doing more later tonight, but here is where I've paused thus far.

The directional buttons are done, though the more I look at it... I may enlarge them abit... just a hair.

I also mocked up the hotkey button flap on the base

And added a slim cut-out in the case (back corner) to make the charging LEDs visible

I still need to;

Make the power switch cap
Cut out the HDMI and MicroUSB ports for the Pi
Figure out how best to handle the volume control (I have an idea in mind, its just will it work?)
Print and test fit all the new changes
Round and smooth everything out once I've settled on the final design. (Easy part here lol)

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@donannis

no, running starnard pinkypi with mods to let screen and controls work, I have another premade image for pizero that I also use sometimes, with the gamepi15 drivers neither is overclocked, but this 3rd pi gets hot near the ribbon connector on the left (when holding with gamepi on ) and near the one left screw mount, plus right under the cpu

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

just had the 3rd pizero fry itself... (never happened before I got the gamepi15...)

yet they work fine with my pi3... gonna try one more

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

Posted by: @jbach50

just had the 3rd pizero fry itself... (never happened before I got the gamepi15...)

Honestly, have you been using the same GamePi15 for each of these Pi zeros or swapped with another one.. you might have gotten a bad one, i'd stop connecting it to Pi's if something on the board is bridged.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @donannis

Honestly, have you been using the same GamePi15 for each of these Pi zeros or swapped with another one.. you might have gotten a bad one, i'd stop connecting it to Pi's if something on the board is bridged.

Yeah, that may warrant a support email to WaveShare as well, if the same GamePi15 is frying devices it may be a bad board.
I've got 3 GamePi15 hat's, I've only used one thus far with 2 different Pi 0's and maybe about a combined 2-3 hours of use, no failures. Slight heat, but nothing out of the norm.

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@crackedconsole

well I have 2 gamepi15's, both were in use when the pizeros died, however the gamepi15's work fine on my pi3

I think it was the Pizeros from this vendor, the first one came from microcenter, and worked for 6 months when I tried it on the gamepi15 I didnt use the screws and posts, so I thnik I shorted somwerthing. however the last 2 were from a amazon vendor, just ordered one from waveshare on amazon this time

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@crackedconsole

well I have 2 gamepi15's, both were in use when the pizeros died, however the gamepi15's work fine on my pi3

I think it was the Pizeros from this vendor, the first one came from microcenter, and worked for 6 months when I tried it on the gamepi15 I didnt use the screws and posts, so I thnik I shorted somwerthing. however the last 2 were from a amazon vendor, just ordered one from waveshare on amazon this time

Let us know if you have any issues with a new Raspberry Pi, I haven't seen any other reports of failures and I hoping for some level of confidence that there isn't an issue with the GamePi15 device itself as I'm looking to sell these devices fully assembled once I finalize the case design.

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@crackedconsole

i'll keep you posted

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Looks like I may need to come down about .5mm to get everything just right (Also looks like I need to tighten my belts and bolts around my printer lol)

And I'm for sure going to redo the arrow keys, they are just abit too small I think

The Hotkey button needs abit of work as well, its currently too stiff and wont move and again I still need to do the volume and on/off slider switch.

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

Looking fantastic so far.. 😉

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

A few minor changes and another test print.
I've gotta extend the height of the base by about 1mm.

I also think I'm going to move the charging LED cut out from the base to the top half to get it close to the LEDs themselves.

The arrow key buttons are abit snug, so I'm going to open the triangle cutouts by about 0.2mm or so for smoother action.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I did do a dry run in Sketchup with some smoothing out, I'm some what happy with it thus far. Very close, yet still a few important items to go!

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 13
Share: