Clear all

PinkyPi X Build log - Raspberry Pi Zero and GamePi15 hat gaming device

195 Posts
10 Users
33 Likes
70.1 K Views
donannis
(@donannis)

lol, I just removed it and bridged the 2 solder joints.. I used the volume control in Retropie. also, the little speaker is right channel, not even mono sound. which bites for genesis, as you are missing some sounds that would come out of the left speaker.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @donannis

lol, I just removed it and bridged the 2 solder joints.. I used the volume control in Retropie. also, the little speaker is right channel, not even mono sound. which bites for genesis, as you are missing some sounds that would come out of the left speaker.

Ewww, I was hoping it would be Mono =(
The first case design I'm doing my best to make it plug and play, with out having to modify hardware. I'm more than likely going to follow up with an advanced version after.

I did print out the D-Pad this afternoon on my lunch break, and starting to work out the overall feel and shape of it

(edit, whew I need to fine tune my printer abit, some areas of that print look horrid) 

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I did make some case updates last night, I wont be printing this till over the weekend once I finish the general design.

Again, nothing is rounded of smoothed out as of yet, I'm waiting til the fitment is correct then, I'll focus on smoothing it all out.

I have been debating if I want to make a concave / indented portion on the lower half. This would break up the shape abit and... Maybe... MAYBE make it easer to give access to the Pi USB and HDMI

The line on the side would be where I would make such an indent

And I'm still debating if I like the speaker grill layout

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

I'd indent the bottom honestly, as it would be easier to plug in HDMI, as well as easier to hold. 

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

So, when you do the modified version, this is the layout I went with, speaker on the inside wedged between the gamepi15 and the pi,  I jumpered the volume knob, and the 1000 Mah battery 102050 hot glued to the back, this is as thin is a could make it.

I cut down the pins from the GamePi15 with a dremel with cutoff wheel at the first line (there are actual male pins in there before it becomes a female connector)  I also reprogrammed a retropie image for the pi, made it so the buttons all work, made the text readable when scrolling games. etc.  here are pictures:

It's currently running on a 64gb card. 

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

Text you can Read!

[img] [/img]

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I'm kinda toying around with 2 D-Pad designs, keeping in mind having to 3D print them.

Design 1, is just a concave small D-Pad

Design 2, is a 2 part D-Pad that snaps together, allowing for a larger surface area.

I'm going to lower the profile of design #2 abit, as I feel it stands abit proud from the case.

I also did a quick mock up with things rounded out and smoothed out on the top and I'm decently happy thus far. I do still need to change the start/select buttons to a more oval shape and mock up the A/B/X/Y buttons.
Lastly I haven't actually tested the center support for the D-Pad, this may not be a final design if I can't get it to work as I want or if it is too fragile

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

so far so great :> btw anyone having problems with their Gamepi15 frying RPIzeros? so far mine killed 2, its being replaced tomorrow

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

how does the smaller D-pad feel for movement, is it difficult to move around, and that's why you made it bigger?  Also, I make a suggestion to people that 3d print buttons, go grab some Truck Bed liner in spray.. If you spray the buttons/D-Pad. it will coat them with a small layer of rubber. Makes it easier on the fingers, and smooths out the buttons 😉

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

Just finished 2 with artwork:

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 5 years ago by donannis

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jbach50

so far so great :> btw anyone having problems with their Gamepi15 frying RPIzeros? so far mine killed 2, its being replaced tomorrow

I haven't had issues with mine yet, though I haven't had it powered on much.
What battery are you using?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @donannis

how does the smaller D-pad feel for movement, is it difficult to move around, and that's why you made it bigger?  Also, I make a suggestion to people that 3d print buttons, go grab some Truck Bed liner in spray.. If you spray the buttons/D-Pad. it will coat them with a small layer of rubber. Makes it easier on the fingers, and smooths out the buttons 😉

For the larger D-Pad, it was more for general consumers. I think the small one feels fine, but different sized hands and play styles etc... I wanted to make sure I cover all bases, I'll more than likely create both and let the end user choose.

I actually have a couple cans of bed liner sitting around. I may try it out on one of the D-Pads.

The artwork looks great!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I printed out some test buttons for ABXY earlier today, and I've been toying around with some game play, swapping between the 2 different D-Pad styles... And in all honesty, I like the way the individual buttons feel better than the D-Pad arrangement, so now I'm debating....
Do I go forward with the 2 optional D-Pad choices.

Do I add a 2nd top option with buttons for Up/Down/Left/Right, that mimic the ABXY style.

Do I toss away the D-Pad all together and go with buttons?

And I'm trying to decide between normal round buttons for the directional, or triangles pointing each way?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I've also got a rounded version of the top half on the printer now.

I think tomorrow after work, I'm going to finish the start/select buttons finally, and do a 2nd top mock up including the direction buttons.

I am going to be printing a new base mock up tomorrow too, it was a 4 hour print in total, and I didn't want to start it this late at night.

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@crackedconsole

the 14500, 3.6 or 3.7 volt this is my 3rd pi zero wh, its getting rather warm in sections lol... was debating getting a pi 3a+ yes its bigger but I have used it on a pi 3b and it works well, 3a+ will be smaller.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jbach50

@crackedconsole

the 14500, 3.6 or 3.7 volt this is my 3rd pi zero wh, its getting rather warm in sections lol... was debating getting a pi 3a+ yes its bigger but I have used it on a pi 3b and it works well, 3a+ will be smaller.

Mine gets warm as well, thats the nature of the Pi. But I haven't had one fail yet with the Gamepi15.

On a side note, I did print a case build of the case, the top is pretty much done with the exception of the start/select buttons. And now its time to focus on the bottom.

The volume wheel is going to be the biggest challenge to get right I think.

I've matched a "rounded" version of the top with a square base. More so just to make sure things line up.
I've really gotta calibrate my 3D printer again!

But none-the-less its getting very close, I'll be doing the Directional Buttons version, as well as figuring out the volume controls and making a flap for the HotKey button.

Home stretch time!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 13
Share: