PinkyPi X Build log - Raspberry Pi Zero and GamePi15 hat gaming device

195 Posts
10 Users
33 Likes
69.9 K Views
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

also, not to nitpick, I love that you guys can mod the design of the hat, but please keep those of us leaving the hat in tact size wise when making the case :>

(at my age I dont think learning how to mod (on limited budget) would be feasable :>

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jbach50

also, not to nitpick, I love that you guys can mod the design of the hat, but please keep those of us leaving the hat in tact size wise when making the case :>

(at my age I dont think learning how to mod (on limited budget) would be feasable :>

My main focus is an un-modified version. Once complete I may follow up and make a modified version in line with what @donannis is doing with his GamePi15 hat.
For now though, the current case design is for a plug and play setup with the Pi Zero and GamePi15 unmodified.

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@crackedconsole

woohoo! :>

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have a couple new test fit prints on the 3D Printer, getting close to having the basic layout of the top done, then I can modify it to support buttons / D-pad that I will design next.

As you can see, the trigger cut-outs and headphone jack need alot of work, this is mainly just for initial alignment testing

Once I get the basic layout complete, I can start to mold in exactly how the triggers are going to work as well as the Hot Key button and smooth / round it all out.
The base wont be difficult at all, unless I start doing some trickery to make the Pi HDMI and USB ports easier to access, I fear they are set back far enough that it could complicate things. They are not flush with the display hat edge, they are set back about 4-5mm.

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@crackedconsole

love it so far, cant wait

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

So, off topic, but I ended up using just the speaker, I didn't use the huge audio knob, I just wired it at full blast, as I was able to change the volume in retropie by clicking start > going to audio section, and changing the PCM volume down. also.. the battery I got was way too big.. lol, I ended up putting the speaker in the middle between the pi, i'll throw a video up

ReplyQuote
jbach50
(@jbach50)
Trusted Member

@donannis

right now im running the 14500 battery, not too bad

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

So, here is where i am so far need a smaller battery.. lol  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNJlRcIextU

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @donannis

So, here is where i am so far need a smaller battery.. lol  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNJlRcIextU

Looking great!
I like the volume pot removal idea, the one they added just seems very large, and yet the power switch is soooo tiny and going to be a pain to design / 3D print a decent functional switch top while keeping things small lol

Great work man, and love the video!

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

Thank you, I have a mountain of arcade/3d printed arcade stuff videos on my channel 😉

www.youtube.com/donannis

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thank you, I have a mountain of arcade/3d printed arcade stuff videos on my channel 😉

www.youtube.com/donannis

I love the race'cade! Looks like hyperspin running as the UI? I've debated swapping my Arcade from GameEX over to HyperSpin, but I feel like I want to rebuild my cabinet first.

Great channel, subscribed!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I'm going to print out this update I'm working on once I complete a few additional changes.
Next will be the triggers, buttons and D-Pad and finishing with the base (easiest part).

I'm trying to decide how I want to do the D-Pad and the best way to put a brace in the center to keep you from hitting 2 opposite directions at the same time. The space is pretty tight, so fighting fragility vs stability.

I'm going with round buttons and they will be pretty similar in what I used on PinkyPi Pro, the same with the start and select buttons that will be more oval shaped.

I may also be forced to cover up the far outside USB port on the Pi, while trying to work in the volume control via the built in Potentiometer.

I did get my first pack of 1450 rechargeable batteries today and a spare Pi ZeroW, so I started working on the PinkyPi X RetroPie image and can possibly have it up for download this weekend.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Still abit more to go, I want to print this all out before I start to shape and form and round everything out. The D-Pad will be somewhat concave in the center I think, and you can see the optional center "brace" that can be press fit or glued in place at the bottom of the D-Pad to use a a pivot point / fulcrum.

But that's all for tonight, more in the next day or 2.

ReplyQuote
donannis
(@donannis)

Oh man, that looks great so far.. also, did you notice the volume knob has a little slit in the center of it, possible to print out a extended knob and fit it into that slit? just giving ideas. 

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Oh man, that looks great so far.. also, did you notice the volume knob has a little slit in the center of it, possible to print out a extended knob and fit it into that slit? just giving ideas. 

Yeah, I'm actually hoping to use that in part with the volume control. I would really like to make something like a half circle that extends just a hair past the case, so you can slide your finger back and forth and adjust the volume.
But still tossing ideas around, and I'm sure it will drastically change once I start to render it out lol

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 13
Share: