PinkyPi Pro - Build log

126 Posts
6 Users
19 Likes
215.1 K Views
fragman
(@fragman)
Eminent Member

Finaly , it seem impossible to make the fbcp-ili9341 working   , So i tried this one tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp

sudo apt-get install cmake git
git clone https://github.com/tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp
cd rpi-fbcp/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo install fbcp /usr/local/bin/fbcp

Ans it works like a charm !!! as you can see here  ?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: fragman

On my screen , pins are SCL,SCA,RES,DC   The configuration pins are TX and RX on the ili driver  for Four pins sreens a suppose 

how to configure pins on my sreen  ?

To compile the driver you need to know what pins on the Pi you have DC and RES plugged into (The BCM Pin Number), the ones used in the display hat I have are DC=22 and RES=27

You can then use the following to install and build the driver.

cd ~
sudo apt-get install cmake
git clone https://github.com/juj/fbcp-ili9341.git
cd fbcp-ili9341
mkdir build
cd build

(Change the DATA_CONTROL=## to your DC Pin you have connected to the Pi, the same for TFT_RESET_PIN=## for the RES pin)
cmake -DST7789VW=ON -DGPIO_TFT_DATA_CONTROL=## -DGPIO_TFT_RESET_PIN=## -DSPI_BUS_CLOCK_DIVISOR=6 ..

make -j
sudo ./fbcp-ili9341

Full instructions on the ili driver can be found here fbcp-ili9341

If you've got the provided driver from the manufacture, you may have to do a few things to disable SPI and other stuff, it's all outlined in the link above to the fbcp-ili9341 github

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Finaly , it seem impossible to make the fbcp-ili9341 working   , So i tried this one tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp

sudo apt-get install cmake git
git clone https://github.com/tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp
cd rpi-fbcp/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo install fbcp /usr/local/bin/fbcp

Ans it works like a charm !!! as you can see here  ?

Awesome! Great Job! That driver makes a world of difference.

One thing I am noticing, with RetroPie 4.4, I'm getting fairly poor performance on the Pi ZeroW. I'm building a few Image files, 1 based off RetroPie 4.1 and one based off RetroPie 4.4, and will test each one, I've heard rumors 4.1 works better on a Pie zero.

I've also seen a few overclock the GPU and RAM (not the CPU) and are able to get decent performance on SNES games (minus any SuperFX games). So I'll be testing that after I mage the initial images and provide instructions on how to do the overclock if you wish.

I'm trying to work on documentation, full blown instructions and walk through for things like that (building the image from scratch and installing drivers, overclocking, assembly etc), and I'm going to dedicate a portion of the website to both the Standard and Pro versions where you can click around a kinda FAQ / Walkthrough for each device.

ReplyQuote
fragman
(@fragman)
Eminent Member

Thanks , i will try once again with the ili9341  but for now the tasanakorn works great with a good framerate ( video Here)

next step now : Add 2 more buttons  A,B,C,Start,Select  .  The center joystick button do nothing 🙁

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks , i will try once again with the ili9341  but for now the tasanakorn works great with a good framerate ( video Here)

next step now : Add 2 more buttons  A,B,C,Start,Select  .  The center joystick button do nothing 🙁

Looks great!

What kind of performance are you getting on the Genesis as well as the SNES? And I'm curious what version of RetroPie you settled with, 4.4?

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

My display arrived next week 🙂

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: ivanothai

My display arrived next week 🙂

Awesome! Thats great news!

If I don't have the image finished yet, I'll atleast provide details on the display driver build.
I've been trying to get caught up on all projects, PinkyPi, PinkyPi Pro and PiBro, while also getting the webstore ready for sales!

ReplyQuote
fragman
(@fragman)
Eminent Member

Posted by: CrackedConsole

Looks great!

What kind of performance are you getting on the Genesis as well as the SNES? And I'm curious what version of RetroPie you settled with, 4.4?

The retropie version i use is 4.2  and the quality with genesis is very smooth  , have a look  Aladin video 

i will try with 4.4 retropie version 

ReplyQuote
fragman
(@fragman)
Eminent Member

I have compiled a fresh image with retropie 4.4  and ST7789 drivers and it works perfectly Video ECCO the Dolphin ? ?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have compiled a fresh image with retropie 4.4  and ST7789 drivers and it works perfectly Video ECCO the Dolphin ? ?

Thats great!

I think I figured out my performance issues aswell.

I was using the Spotpear provided image for the display hat, modified to run the fbcp-ili9341 driver, SNES was fairly poor, even Genisis and NES...

I just finished build 1 of PinkyPi RetroPie build (4.4) and used Adafruits RetroGame GPIO driver as well as the fbcp-ili9341 video driver, once complete I pulled the SD card and put it in PinkyPi Pro, recompiled the video driver with the ST7789VW directive and appropriate settings, and SNES runs a TON better.

I am getting no dropped frames, but have only played Zelda thus far on the SNES. the default emulator appears to be lr-snes-9x2002. I'm seeing PiSNES runs better at the expense of audio quality and over all emulation authenticity. So I'm going to toy with lr-snes9x2002 first abit and see how it performs.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System

lr-snes9x2002 is the default emulator for the RPi0 and RPi1: expect inaccurate emulation. With this emulator, full speed emulation of SFX/SA1/SFX2 games is not possible on a RPi0 or a RPi1, expect some regular games not to run full speed on a RPi0, and do not expect full speed emulation for any game on a RPi1.

PiSNES is an optional emulator that is recommended for full speed emulation of some games that run slow on a RPi0 or RPi1 in lr-snes9x2002, though it has inaccurate sound emulation and SFX/SA1/SFX2 games do not work.

I'm going to do some touching up and testing on the precompiled PinkyPi and PinkyPiPro images before I warp them up as final, and I also still need to compile a version for the 1.44 inch LCD.
Yet I still don't see much demand for that, as the resolution is 128x128 and is poor when trying to read text.

Once I work out the kinks and find a decent place to host the files, I'll get them online. Sadly my web service provide will not allow large file size hosting.

I'm trying out Super Metroid at the typing of this, no overclock base RetroPie 4.4 build and so far its decent, Zelda played well,  couple very minor slow downs in the 5min I played but nothing that ruined the experience. And those may be fixed with the GPU and RAM overclock options

fragman reacted
ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

FYI,

I have published PinkyPi Pro on Thingiverse.

I've marked it as a work in progress as there may still be some slight design changes, but it is ready for the first Public release!

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

thanks friend can I print then? or do I wait for some changes before printing? are the keys all in one file? because I would like to make them of different colors and then select 1 or 2 keys at a time to print

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: ivanothai

thanks friend can I print then? or do I wait for some changes before printing? are the keys all in one file? because I would like to make them of different colors and then select 1 or 2 keys at a time to print

The only changes I can forsee making would be minor cosmetic changes, or unless I hit a major assembly snag or parts change.
The buttons are all in 1 pack (different pack than the case) but I did include the Sketchup source files, so you can load sketchup, open the file, copy 1 button and export it to STL.

I am working on button packs to sell on the webstore, these will include SNES (US) Colored buttons and debating doing a Super Famicon set (Yellow, Red, Green, Blue)

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I'm using Adafruits RetroGame utility for using the GPIO pins as a controller in RetroPie, below is the retrogame.cfg settings I'm currently using.

# PinkyPi Pro v1.0

LEFT 6 # Joypad left
RIGHT 13 # Joypad right
UP 16 # Joypad up
DOWN 5 # Joypad down
LEFTCTRL 21 # 'A' button
LEFTALT 20 # 'B' button
Z 15 # 'X' button
X 12 # 'Y' button
SPACE 26 # 'Select' button
ENTER 19 # 'Start' button
A 14 # Left shoulder button
S 23 # Right shoulder button
B 3 # Joystick Press
#ESC 17 # Exit ROM; PiTFT Button 1
#1 22 # PiTFT Button 2
#2 23 # PiTFT Button 3
#3 4 # PiTFT Button 4

I also swapped over to PiSNES for the default SNES emulator, and am currently testing it for primary use in the PinkyPi Pro prebuilt image.

The following is the snes9x.cfg keyboard settings I am currently using. (Make note, Quit and Accel are not bound to any actual keys on our device and were just left default)
Oddly it seemed alot of things needed to be updated, ie. the joystick controls were inverted and I had to swap B and X. I'm still running through games to assure the below is correct, but looks good from what I've tested. (Triggers may need swapped)

[Keyboard]
# Get codes from /usr/include/SDL/SDL_keysym.h
A_1=306
B_1=122
X_1=308
Y_1=120
L_1=115
R_1=97
START_1=32
SELECT_1=13
LEFT_1=275
RIGHT_1=276
UP_1=274
DOWN_1=273
QUIT=27
ACCEL=8

And the last good update for the night, I received 2 batteries to test fitment and "finalize" the hardware and make the Build guide and video!

And it looks like it will fit just right, leaving enough room for the skyscraper tall GPIO pin headers.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I'm reading more through other projects and Audio, and I came across this thread, on Sudomod

PWM Audio Guide

Looking other their low-pass filter, it looks to be a bit better than what I'm currently using in PinkyPi Standard, 

They've added a 150 ohm resistor to ground, next to the 33nf cap. And there is also a 10uf cap at the end right before output. I'm going to give this new circuit a try, still running mono (same as above) just due to space constraints and the fact this new display hat uses up all but BCM pin 18 for PWM that's needed for Audio.

Make note of the GPIO/Func values below for your selected configuration:

PWM GPIO PIN FUNC
0 12 4
0 18 2
1 13 4
1 19 2

Though, I will be stepping up to stereo in my other project I'm trying to wrap up along side PinkyPi Pro, and more details on that soon.

fragman reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 9
Share: