PiBro - Raspberry Pi 3 A+ based Handheld gaming console.
I've kinda taken a brief pause from PinkyPi as I work on PiBro.
The new PiBro is based around a Raspberry Pi 3 A+, Adafruit Joy bonnet and 2.2inch LCD.
Raspberry Pi 3 A+
2.2inch 240x240 LCD
10mmx15mm Speaker (2 used in this project)
270 ohm Resistor (used in low-pass audio filter)
33nf capacitor (used in low-pass audio filter)
10k ohm potentiometer
PAM8403 Audio Amp
TP4056 Battery Charger
Here are a couple early shots of a test fit print. I am working on a couple triggers for the L and R buttons as well, and testing out a few ideas for fit and feel.
And PiBro next to PinkyPi
I am hoping to finish PinkyPi 2.0 this weekend, and then move back to a big focus on this PiBro build.
Once both are complete, I plan to work on some PCB designs for build kits and DIY kits.
A Couple of quick shots of the current design from tonight. I am still working out the triggers and trigger button mount, as well as finalizing the location of the electronics in the bottom layer.
Once I have all the items exactly where I want them, and I've settled on how everything will bolt together, I will start to round out the edges and surfaces to make it smoother and more ergonomic.
As always, source files will be shared on my Thingiverse once I have a workable final design.
I've been juggling the wrap up of the PinkyPi project, and the design of PiBro, yet wanted to share what I'm currently working with for PiBro.
A majority of the time has been spent learning Sketchup more so I can create smoother shapes and edges and angles, this is leading to a redesign of the triggers and case over all.
I've removed the hinged triggers, and going with a simpler free floating push button trigger, as well as tossing around come cap ideas for a 2 piece setup.
Once I have the base layout how I want it, I'll go back and work on ergonomics and smoothing, cleaning up small details along the way.
Hopefully I'll have alot more headway on this project in the next couple of weeks.
I ended up printing the above design, and sadly due to the trigger location, its just uncomfortable and makes you reach abit much to hit the triggers. So I jotted down a quick idea for a new trigger design, this is far from the end result and needs alot of work to avoid the mounting screw locations. But this is just a general idea of what I'm going to try next, sadly getting these triggers right have been the biggest hang up on this design moving forward.
Once I get the triggers right, I can then work out the fastener and screw setup, as I want to avoid any on the face as much as possibly, and then final shaping.
The triggers shown below in blue are again just a quick idea to capture it on paper, I haven't even modified the base yet to accept them, or honed them to the point they wont interfere with the screws, yet go around them.
I'm also aiming to shave possibly 6mm of over all thickness in the case design as well to make it more sleek.
The last milestone to overcome after the triggers and fasteners is audio locations. I'm still wanting to add stereo speakers to this device, and hoping to work them into each side near the top.
I'm still, still working out the triggers. I just want these to feel and function correctly.
I've since printed this design, but I am not happy with the button of the case, and printed it upside down, so the inside looks terrible. But I've since removed the angles and curves on the bottom.
The trigger fit is great, though I am dealing with some small imperfections that will be cleaned up shortly. I've also added the power switch to the center and am working on fitting the volume wheel here as well.
Stay tuned as I finalize the remaining design details for this lower half, and then move back to the rest of the case to polish it up and get the final build together!
It has been a long time coming, and back to work part-time on PiBro.
I'm currently printing revision 1.5.4 of the base and triggers, still the biggest challenge area to get just right. And I think I'm fairly close to being done with the base layout.
That leaves touching up the middle Pi A+ layer, and then finalizing the top (most of the heavy lifting is already done here).
These items primarily include deciding how to assemble and bolt it all together and making the case fit that design.
Once all is said and done, we can start on the hardware setup, wiring and RetroPie install and drivers!
I think I have most of the base design complete, I'm going to be printing off the case today and testing everything out.
Once complete, I'll start on the OS build and get video and controls working, I still have yet to determine the pinout for the Adafruit joy Bonnet and what pins to use on the display.
But progress, though slow, it's progress. PinkyPi and PinkyPi Pro have been the large distractions, and those are starting to finally... I hope, wrap up.
PiBro 1.5.7 is almost ready to print and test the fitment.
I've enlarged the Triggers and extended their reach a bit so they sit further away from the case and are easier to access and use when the device is put together.
I've also replaced the plastic mounts for the triggers and will be utilizing M3 screws to pivot the triggers on and add rigidity to the design.
This has been tabled for some time due to PinkyPi, PinkyPi Pro and now PinkyPi X.
I plan on starting back into this project in the next couple of weeks, if anyone would like the existing 3D files I have thus far, please let me know.