Clear all

PinkyPi Pro - Build log

126 Posts
6 Users
19 Likes
214.6 K Views
John Scott
(@johnphillip-scott)

I have been trying to get this game hat to work with a rpi 3 a+ and I am having some compatibility issues. does anyone have any tips? 

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @johnphillip-scott

I have been trying to get this game hat to work with a rpi 3 a+ and I am having some compatibility issues. does anyone have any tips? 

The prebuilt image we have is for the Pi Zero, so that most likely wont work.
Download a new RetroPie base image (For Pi 2/3), and use the following to install a display driver. Let me know if this works

cd ~
sudo apt-get install cmake
git clone https://github.com/juj/fbcp-ili9341.git
cd fbcp-ili9341
mkdir build
cd build

cmake -DST7789VW=ON -DGPIO_TFT_DATA_CONTROL=22 -DGPIO_TFT_RESET_PIN=27 -DDMA_TX_CHANNEL=9 -DDMA_RX_CHANNEL=2 -DSPI_BUS_CLOCK_DIVISOR=6 -DDISPLAY_ROTATE_180_DEGREES=ON -DSTATISTICS=1 ..

make -j
sudo ./fbcp-ili9341

ReplyQuote
John Scott
(@johnphillip-scott)

@crackedconsole

thank you so much for helping out! I am a beginner to this kind of stuff! 
after copy and pasting the commands into putty, the display works but the buttons do not. also if I try and turn off the pi 3 a+ or cut power, the display stops working and I have to start over. 

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @johnphillip-scott

@crackedconsole

thank you so much for helping out! I am a beginner to this kind of stuff! 
after copy and pasting the commands into putty, the display works but the buttons do not. also if I try and turn off the pi 3 a+ or cut power, the display stops working and I have to start over. 

For the controls there are several options, I used Adafruit Retro Arcade. Here's my setup guide for that;

cd ~
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/retrogame.sh >retrogame.sh
sudo bash retrogame.sh

Choose Option 3 PiGirl Zero and reboot.
Upon reboot run

sudo nano /boot/retrogame.cfg

And replace all the text with

# PinkyPi Pro v1.0

LEFT 6 # Joypad left
RIGHT 13 # Joypad right
UP 16 # Joypad up
DOWN 5 # Joypad down
LEFTCTRL 21 # 'A' button
LEFTALT 20 # 'B' button
Z 15 # 'X' button
X 12 # 'Y' button
SPACE 26 # 'Select' button
ENTER 19 # 'Start' button
A 14 # Left shoulder button
S 23 # Right shoulder button
B 3 # Joystick Press

As for the display driver running on reboot, it has to be added to startup for it to run at boot.

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Add add the following line near the bottom ( I don't have an example with me, but pretty sure its like 1 line above the bottom or close to it)

sudo /home/pi/fbcp-ili9341/build/fbcp-ili9341 &

And that will cause the display driver to start at boot.

ReplyQuote
KaraPelosi
(@karapelosi)

Hi...I have several these caps I purchased spontaneously however never found time to make a case, a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing! I'll attempt to figure out how to print off a duplicate, life's been insane recently yet my better 3/4 needs to work tomorrow so I may really have a large portion of a Saturday off myself.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @karapelosi

Hi...I have several these caps I purchased spontaneously however never found time to make a case, a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing! I'll attempt to figure out how to print off a duplicate, life's been insane recently yet my better 3/4 needs to work tomorrow so I may really have a large portion of a Saturday off myself.

Welcome aboard! We have the STL files available to 3D print yourself if you have access to a printer.
If you are in the United States, I can also print them for you, we have listings in our shop for the pre-printed cases, but I can do custom colors at request as well.

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 9
Share: