73 Posts
4 Users
5 Likes
138.7 K Views
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The trigger flaps version of the case has been printed and tested. It actually doesn't feel that bad, a bit of tweaking and it should be good!
It works as well as I had hoped, though I do need to make things a bit bigger and easier to push in.

I again have yet to mount the Pi itself, as well as the rest of the electronics and verify fitment, this is just fine tuning the case design and trigger feel and function. Yet we are getting closer every minute!

Madz reacted
ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The triggers do need abit more work, the feel just isn't right yet, but I think they function like I want, I do want to add some backstops to keep them from pressing in to far and breaking or causing damage to the display hat's buttons.
I am going to give them more "wiggle room" so they can snag on the case anywhere, as well as increase the surface area thats exposed for you to press on.

Back to Sketchup to make the changes.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I've updated the triggers drastically so they have more surface area for your fingers, and added more clearance for the trigger flaps to move freely with out snagging on the case.

I also added a backstop to one of the triggers, I'm going to test this tomorrow to make sure it keeps the flap from travelling to far and snapping.

I hope to print both the updated top layer and bottom layer tomorrow and give it a test fit.

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

nice job, what program do you use to create the 3D case? I would like to start knowing how to create something myself

can I use Raspberry pi zero without wireless without problems right?
the battery you use in the 500mah project when it lasts around?

do you think it's possible to use something bigger?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: ivanothai

nice job, what program do you use to create the 3D case? I would like to start knowing how to create something myself

can I use Raspberry pi zero without wireless without problems right?
the battery you use in the 500mah project when it lasts around?

do you think it's possible to use something bigger?

I use Google Sketchup for all my designs currently, I have the free version, and a few round corner plugins and 3D Printing "Solid Checker" plugins to make sure the design is ready to print.

As for the WiFi, correct, you can turn off WiFi and BlueTooth to save on battery.
As for 500mAh, I get around 2 hours of game play.

But space is limited, I could barely fit the 500mah in the first version, I'm not sure it will fit at all in the Pro version, so it may be pushing the limits of the size of battery, unless I can find a different form factor and wedge it in.

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

ok thanks, I wait for you to complete the project, I have to buy all the other electronics.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I ended up coming across the following batteries, I think these may be right for PinkyPi Pro.
I'm going to start a new thread on the forums for further updates on the Pro version, and go back to updates on the standard version in this thread.

But for the battery, it's going to be a 502248 battery, it's going to be a tight fit but it just may work.

LP502248

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

News?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The Pro build has been moved to 

PinkyPi Pro Build

I'm currently dealing with the display driver as the FPS is very low and I am looking to get the fbcp-ili9341 fast SPI display driver working for the display (if possible).

For this thread and PinkyPi standard, I am working on the following;

Waveshare 1.4inch LCD top  (Larger screen, but 128x128 resolution, same button layout)

"Slim" base, removing the battery and charging IC and moving the speaker to the middle layer. The idea for this setup is if you would like to power it off Micro USB and have a smaller device.

Updated / Prebuilt RaspberryPi / RetroPie images, 1 for the 1.3inch LCD version and 1 for the 1.4inch LCD version.

Continue to follow this thread for those upcoming updates to PinkyPi, and again check out the new Pro thread for future updates on PinkyPi Pro!

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

Ok perfect

ReplyQuote
fragman
(@fragman)
Eminent Member

Hello , i am a new user from france  . I just oredered all stuff to make one ! 

I dont understand why the MiniBoy image is soo big without roms ?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: fragman

Hello , i am a new user from france  . I just oredered all stuff to make one ! 

I dont understand why the MiniBoy image is soo big without roms ?

Hello and welcome, nice to have you.

For the miniboy image,
I'm guessing when it was created, the author didn't exclude empty blocks maybe? I'm still working on the drivers for the pro version, once thats working I plan on making my own image for PinkyPi, trimmed down and removing the status display that is visible at the top of the screen.

As for the build, thats awesome! I look forward to your feedback and seeing it come together.

Thank you

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

A quick update for PinkyPi Standard.

I've updated the top of the case very slightly to accommodate the slop in the manufactured display boards, this is for the joystick opening.
I've also "finalized" the 1.44inch LCD hat top and created a working test print and new buttons for its design.
Lastly, I am finishing the "slim" case design to strip away the battery layer for those that want a smaller device and are OK with powering it from a MicroUSB plug.

Once I've finalized all these above items, I will be updating the Thingiverse files and marking it "Complete"

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Coming this weekend;

The "final" release of PinkyPi on Thingiverse and marking that module "complete".

Version 2.6 with the following updates / changes and setups.

Version A

This is the 1.3inch LCD version I have been using in all my current builds, and the recommended display as it is a resolution of 240x240.

• Top-A : 1.3inch LCD hat top
  • Button Pack-A : The buttons and joystick to be used with the 1.3inch LCD hat

Version B

This is the 1.4inch LCD version, a larger screen but sub-par resolution at 128x128 and really makes text in games and menus hard to read.

• Top-B : 1.4inch LCD hat top
  • Button Pack-B : The buttons and joystick to be used with the 1.4inch LCD hat. The buttons are specific to this screen due to the space needed for the display, and one side of their supports are trimmed for this reason.

Once you have a Top/Display and button pack picked out you then have the following options.

PinkyPi Case - 2.6

The standard portable version of PinkyPi, including the middle layer for the RaspberryPi as well as the bottom layer for the battery/charger and speaker.

PinkyPi Slim Case - 2.6

This is a slim version of the PinkyPi case, it removes the battery layer and in turn then requires MicroUSB power to function.

Below is a few snaps of PinkyPi Slim, ignore the small hairline gap, that has been corrected in the 3D files.
I've also used the 1.4inch LCD top and buttons (Version B) in this build, just to show both new options.

And a couple side by side with our NES themed PinkyPi with a 1.3inch LCD.

PinkyPi Slim with 1.4inch vs PinkyPi with 1.3inch

ReplyQuote
fragman
(@fragman)
Eminent Member

Nice Job ? 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share: