5 Likes
138 K Views
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: ivanothai

my must arrive in Italy and it will take about 30 days

No worries, that will give me time to get the design done for you =) I think I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and I'm still super excited!

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well, I got a present in the mail today!
Both 1.5inch hats for the Pi Zero with the SNES style button layout.

First impressions?

Well, the pin header is as tall as my current device, the thing is HUGE... This is a big let down as I have to redesign each layer now, and may have a hard time fitting everything due to the extra space the pin headers are taking up. I'd rather not de-solder as I want to keep this as easily repeatable as possible for everyone to make themselves.

So hmmm, this may take abit of re-thinking and re-work. Possibly a different charging circuit and battery.. But we shall see.

The initial impressions of the button feel is somewhat mushy, and no real defined actuation point on button press. The L/R trigger buttons are very tiny, yet clicky and it does feel as if the joystick clicks in as well. Thus the decision to map it to a button or map it to nothing to avoid the issue of the other device and clicking in the stick while gaming and causing an interruption.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well, I've almost got the top complete, I still have to cut out the joystick portion and make the actual buttons. Though I am debating "keying" the buttons so they only go in a certain way and can't rotate, then I can make them some what concave in shape. Thus the far outer edges of each button is raised giving a wider feel of separation between each when you place your thumb in the center of all 4.

I still also want to toy around with some trigger ideas, but their location is laid our for now atleast. I should be able to get a test print on the printer tomorrow and see how it fits, then I can start redesigning the lower layers.

Since I'm going through a full mid and base layer re-design, I may label this build as PinkyPi Pro, hmmm

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

wow show, good job, thanks for what you all do. so the connector is so high? you can use the space to insert a battery in the middle, what do you say?

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

wow show, good job, thanks for what you all do. so the connector is so high? you can use the space to insert a battery in the middle, what do you say?

Yeah, the connector is TALL, as tall as the original full design.

And like you are thinking I'm going to shift the layers around.
Before it was (bottom to top)

• Battery/Charger/Speaker
  • PiZero/Amp
  • Display hat

Now it will have to be

• PiZero/Amp
  • Battery/Charger/Speaker
  • Display hat

The problem with this is, since the pin header is so big and now will take up the full height of the case, the limits the space for the charger and battery, I have yet to fully test but I'm not sure the current battery I'm using will fit in the middle due to the pin header taking up the extra space.

I'm finishing up the design of the top this evening, and then I can start to focus on the middle and bottom layers. I'm going to create a new "Thing" on thingiverse for this, labeling the current one As PinkyPi, and this version as PinkyPi Pro

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

A couple of quick notes from the above pic.

The screen needs to be closed up abit on the case, too much is exposed and you can see traces etc.

The joystick hole is abit large, the top doesn't seat all the way down, so I'm going to make it smaller and cleaner.

The top layer thickness is currently 1mm, this will be increased now that I see I have some wiggle room in this area.

A few changes to come tonight again on the top portion, and again I hope to start on the middle and bottom layer redesign this week!

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

nice job, congratulations indeed. can you put in the description also the links where to buy all the material you need? thank you

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

nice job, congratulations indeed. can you put in the description also the links where to buy all the material you need? thank you

I will be sure to do so, on page 1 of this thread I have a list of parts used, if anything changes I will be sure to make note, though I think once I start to finish the design and put it together, I may start a new thread here as well, and do the first post again with the parts list and instructions, to keep PinkyPi and PinkyPi "Pro" in their own threads 😉

This should also give you an idea of the size of the pin header =/

The overall size of the PCB is abit larger as well, and the LCD glass is even larger as it sticks out just about .5mm out on the top and bottom edge of the PCB. I've had to adjust the case to fit it. 
It wont change the size of the PinkyPi vs the PinkyPi Pro, outside of having to make it about 2mm taller to accommodate the taller buttons on the new hat.

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

nice job, already well underway.
pity that the pins are so high, could come a really micro console with a decent screen.
I follow you
thank you

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Ok, Ok... I've made further progress on the design, this is just a rough idea and I have a version with out the "trigger flaps" printing as I type this.

I have to actually fit all the items in the case and see what room I have left for a battery, and either wedge it in, re-design or find a different battery to use, I'm worried though as there is noting going to be much room at all.

I'm not sure how much I like the "bumps" where the triggers sit, and I'm also not sure how well that whole setup will print and actually function, sadly its getting close to calling it a night for me, so I wont get to print this updated design with the trigger flaps added.

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

you already have an idea on how it will be finished.

the triggers would do it differently, because printed in 3d it is easy to break with time by always, you can make the usual buttons, perhaps larger on the outside, always rectangular, that fit together with a small part towards the real button.
I don't know if I can explain myself.
in this way how much is the total height of the console?
in a second project after this do you think you can disconnect those pins so high and solder something small to make come a micro console, maybe just raspberry and screen, powered only by an external source? would have a real micro console

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

you already have an idea on how it will be finished.

the triggers would do it differently, because printed in 3d it is easy to break with time by always, you can make the usual buttons, perhaps larger on the outside, always rectangular, that fit together with a small part towards the real button.
I don't know if I can explain myself.
in this way how much is the total height of the console?
in a second project after this do you think you can disconnect those pins so high and solder something small to make come a micro console, maybe just raspberry and screen, powered only by an external source? would have a real micro console

I hear you on the triggers, the problem is the actual buttons on the display hat are right against the edge of the wall, so I would have to increase the overall size of the case to fit button style triggers like the rest of the case has.
I am toying with some ideas in my mind of how to better set it up, but I wanna test the above design first. These are akin to the style used in the MintyPi 3 build, a portion of the case that flexes and acts like a button.

As for the non battery version, I do have a bottom half designed with out the battery layer (for the 3 button PinkyPi design) that is exactly as you mentioned, just a Pi and display. But again its the 3 button version.
As for removing the large pin header from the SNES style hat, I may end up going for that for an advanced build, but my hope is to keep the primary build as easy as possible for others to follow along and replicate =)

I have a full case printed up and making adjustments to it, and the case with triggers printing now. I'll get some picks later today, but as it is now, the size is pretty much the exact same os the 3 button standard version.
We will see if the size stays the same once I try and fit a battery in it lol.

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

A quick look at the initial full case design, minus the triggers.

A side by side of PinkyPi vs the upcoming PinkyPi Pro

And the full PinkyPi Family!
PinkyPi with the 1.3inch LCD
PinkyPi with the 1.4inch LCD
PinkyPi Pro with the 1.5inch LCD
And soon the return of PinkyPi slim (non battery model)

ReplyQuote
ivanothai
(@ivanothai)
Eminent Member

Wowwww

incredible and fast work, congratulations

I await the finished project in 3D to print and I hope my display will arrive soon from China 🙁
as for all other internal components do I have to follow the normal pinky guide?
on the other hand, at the software level, would you also guide how to configure the keys and the rest?
thanks for everything and congratulations again

ReplyQuote
CrackedConsole
(@crackedconsole)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Wowwww

incredible and fast work, congratulations

I await the finished project in 3D to print and I hope my display will arrive soon from China 🙁
as for all other internal components do I have to follow the normal pinky guide?
on the other hand, at the software level, would you also guide how to configure the keys and the rest?
thanks for everything and congratulations again

Thank you! And hopefully your display arrives soon, I ended up ordering 2 more the other night =)

As for the rest of the hardware, I am still working out the details and should be able to start assembly and testing this weekend. I'm still not sure the battery will fit and may have to find an alternate.

Same goes for the software, once I get the hardware figured out, I'll start on the RetroPie build and hopefully bundle an image file to share.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share: